Friday, October 22, 2010

Now I've Seen Everything --- I THINK? Foursquare---or For Scare?

Mashable had an interesting story today that really made me sit up and take notice..."Astronaut Checks in to Foursquare from Outer Space"

Really?

Call me a jurist who is still out - (there ARE many who are "in") but I still think that Foursquare.com is a good tip off for stalkers and burglars.  We may as well call the up-and-coming popular site,  HeyComeRobMyHouseAndStealAllOfMyPosessions.com  -- especially if you are floating out in orbit.

I often wonder how folks on parole with electronic monitoring bracelets feel about Foursquare, and if they ever share their locations. Seems like it would be a Big Brother Redundancy to some folks, No? (Not me).

On the creative side, NASA Astronaut Doug Wheelock did what any PR person strives for - originality, being a trendsetter and causing a seismic ripple.  We can consider him StarTrek-esque as he, along with Admiral Byrd, Sir Edmund Hillary and Roger Bannister had gone where no man has gone before - albeit with electronic capability.  But Wheelock was able to instantaneously prove and share it with the world (maybe more than 1 world?).  Each of the aforementioned pioneers crossed their respective barriers and made the stratosphere a bit closer.  Social media is doing just that-crossing barriers and bringing people together.

I thought I saw everything, but I will make a social media prediction.  We will soon see a Foursquare post:  "I am in Orbit -- w/2,458 others"

OK, I'm outta here.  But I am not telling you where I am headed.  GPS, Cell Phone and all electronic devices (full disclosure, no ankle monitoring bracelet here) are all off.

But I'll be back --- maybe with Doug Wheelock...

No comments: